The Yasodhara Ashram Hospitality Internship is intended for individuals who want to learn how to oversee housekeeping in a large community; how to manage ordering and supplies; how to be a team leader and to learn about the practice of Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga is the practice of selfless service, and is an essential part of life at Yasodhara Ashram.
Located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay, this full-time, 6 month internship provides hands-on experience caring for guests at all levels of their stay at the Ashram. Emphasis is placed on being a team leader; acquiring an overview of all housekeeping needs; training karma yogis in: cleaning, bed-making & laundry skills; managing supplies and ordering; and maintaining an awareness of general upkeep.
In applying for this position it is helpful to have some experience and familiarity with a variety of housekeeping skills as well as sewing and mending skills. Important qualities you can bring to this position are an open mind, a positive disposition, a desire to make things beautiful and interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
Homemakers and people who have worked in housekeeping positions are encouraged to apply.
This is a minimum 4-month full time position, beginning June 22, 2015 through to October – the busiest season at the Ashram.
HELPFUL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A desire to bring care into all actions
- A curiosity and openness to explore living in a spiritual community
- Ability to multi-task, oversee big picture and day to day tasks
- Communication skills for reporting and instruction
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people, supplies)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation and attention to detail
Hospitality SPECIFIC SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A willingness to learn
- Knowledge of general housekeeping skills
- Embodiment of the spirit of Karma Yoga and ability to create a safe learning environment for others
- Ability to make work meaningful by encouraging an atmosphere for reflection and spiritual practice
- Ability and ease of working with a team to prioritize and oversee daily, weekly and seasonal activities (seasonal cleaning, record keeping)
- High level of personal motivation and self-management
- Ability and ease to lead karma yogis with daily projects or tasks (planning, preparing, overseeing, checking in and following through until completion)
- Physical health and vitality is important.
- Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with Work Coordinators (Karma Yoga managers) and with karma yogis who are assigned to this area day-by-day.
- Ability to maintain on-going open communication with the Accommodations Manager and with the registrations area of the office.
To apply, please fill out and submit the application form.
Comments are closed.