Yasodhara Ashram and Its Charities
Yasodhara Ashram has been operating since 1963 as a non-profit Society in British Columbia. The Society is a registered Canadian charity.
It is operated by volunteers in the tradition of charity and service embodied in its constitution.
The legal statement of our purpose is in our Constitution.
The purposes of the Society are:
- To establish an Ashram for adult persons engaged in a life of spiritual intent, without restriction as to race, religion, creed or colour;
- To foster the growth of affiliated centres embracing and giving expression to the ideals of universal personhood and charity;
- To provide practical instruction in, and opportunities for, religious and spiritual practice;
- To stimulate a spirit of open intellectual and spiritual enquiry and to promote the study of all religions of the world, with a view to aiding the harmonious development of the potential of human beings
- To support and cooperate with all persons, groups or organizations having similar or concomitant aims, views or objects;
- To receive bequests, trusts, funds and property, and to hold, invest, administer and distribute funds and property for the purposes of the Society.
The Ashram is legally established as:
I. a Non-Profit Society registered in British Columbia since 1963 (Reg. #6608).
II. a Charity registered with Revenue Canada since 1967 (#11930-5654-RR001).
The Ashram is the headquarters for international teaching centres. All teacher certification is given at the Ashram but the outreach work is carried forward by these related charities.
The Friends of Radha Foundation (FRF) is a Canadian charity with the purpose of establishing and operating teaching centres in urban areas in Canada. Revenue Canada classifies the FRF and the Ashram Society as “associated charities, ” which means that they have interrelated purposes and are free to pass resources between them as if they were one.
The Association for the Development of Human Potential (ADHP) is a US charity that has the purpose of advancing yoga-related research and the application of that research to modern life. The ADHP also oversees the teaching centres in the US.
The Radha House Association is a charitable organization in the UK that oversee Swami Radha’s teachings and centres in Europe.
All of these organizations work with the Yasodhara Ashram Society on projects of mutual interest.