The Yasodhara Ashram Hospitality Learning Residency is intended for individuals who want to learn how to oversee housekeeping and management in a large community; how to manage ordering and supplies; how to be a team leader and to learn about the practice of Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga is the practice of selfless service, and is an essential part of life at Yasodhara Ashram.
Located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay, this learning residency provides hands-on experience caring for guests at all levels of their stay at the Ashram. Emphasis is placed on being a team leader; acquiring an overview of all housekeeping needs; training karma yogis in cleaning, bed-making & laundry skills; managing supplies and ordering; and maintaining an awareness of general upkeep.
In applying for this position it is helpful to have some experience and familiarity with a variety of housekeeping skills. Sewing and mending skills are appreciated but not required. Important qualities you can bring to this position are an open mind, a positive disposition, a desire to make things beautiful and interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
These are not paid staff positions. Learning Residents receive meals and accommodation for the length of their stay, at a value of $1400 per month. Seasonal and primarily locally sourced meals are provided, with our kitchen able to cater to numerous dietary requirements.
This is a three to eight month position, with the opportunity to extend. See Pathways to Living and Serving in the Ashram Community
for more information. We are happy to discuss possibilities with you.
HELPFUL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A willingness to learn
- A curiosity and openness to explore living in a spiritual community
- A desire to bring care into all actions
- Ability to oversee both big picture and day to day tasks
- Communication skills for reporting and instruction
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people, supplies)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation and attention to detail
HOSPITALITY SPECIFIC Skills & abilities
Some of these can be acquired through the program, however previous experience is an asset:
- Knowledge of general housekeeping skills and interest to learn more (making beds, folding laundry, cleaning, reporting things that need repair, dusting, vacuuming etc)
- Ability to prioritize and oversee daily, weekly and seasonal activities (seasonal cleaning, record keeping)
- Take the initiative to solve problems, work out difficulties and differences in an open and constructive manner.
- Ensure adherence to quality expectations and standards.
- Ability to work hard physically (Move, lift, carry, and place objects. Walking between buildings, cleaning rooms).
- Drivers license is helpful.
Interpersonal Leadership and Communication
- Ability to make work meaningful by encouraging an atmosphere for reflection and spiritual practice, embodying the spirit of Karma Yoga
- High level of personal motivation and self-management
- Ability to give feedback to others about how work needs to be performed
- Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with Work Coordinators (Karma Yoga managers) and with karma yogis who are assigned to this area day-by-day
- Ability to maintain on-going open communication with the Hospitality Manager and with the registrations area of the office.
- Desire to work in and help maintain a harmonious work environment
- An attitude of service, a positive disposition and an interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
An extra day off each month (after the first two months are completed)
A weekend course is offered after three months
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out and submit the application form. Please email if you have any questions. Applications are accepted any time.