The Ashram nurtures over 2.5 acres of organic gardens and orchards, with menus based on what is available seasonally.
This is a full-time position, assisting the Ashram’s Lead Cook/Kitchen Manager with cooking buffet-style lunches and suppers that are simple nutritionally balanced, tasty and seasonally responsive.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Formal training would be an asset for this position
- Cooking in a nutritionally aware vegetarian style
- Ability to work in a community kitchen based on harmony, open communication and team work.
The Lead Cook/Kitchen manager would support you in this role
- Helping to provide wholesome, nutritionally balanced buffet-style (fixed menu)
breakfasts, lunches and dinners for 50 to 100 people (depending on season)
- Interpersonal skills an asset
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks
- Basic Microsoft excel and Word experience would be helpful
Benefits of working for Yasodhara Ashram Society:
- Working in a beautiful natural environment on the shores of Kootenay Lake
- Using your skills to support an organization that seeks to have a positive effect in people’s lives
- Working in a supportive, communal environment
- Staff discounts on courses and retreats
Experience and Certification:
- Food Safe Level 1 certified
- Minimum of 2 years cooking experience
- Experience with volume food preparation, baking and vegetarian cooking is a distinct asset
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by February 28, 2020 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Job Title: Kitchen Assistant
Status: Full-time, 5 days a week, 40 hours a week