Located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay, this three-month program offers participants an opportunity to practice selfless service and gain valuable skills and experience for their future. The program is based on experiential and self-led learning within a guided mentorship.
Yasodhara Ashram Preserving Kitchen Learning Residency is intended for individuals who want to broaden and deepen their understanding of food preservation and the practice of Karma Yoga. Karma Yoga is the practice of selfless service, and is an essential part of life at Yasodhara Ashram.
The Preserving Kitchen is a valuable part of the Ashram, preserving a variety of organically grown fruits and vegetables from our garden/orchard. We also purchase locally-grown produce to supplement our food flow which allows us to utilize all preserves with the daily meals year round.
You will gain valuable skills in the various ways of fermentation, dehydration, canning, freezing and drying techniques under the guidance of the Preserving Kitchen Lead. You will also learn about the symbiotic relationship between fruits and how they assist in the ripening process.
In addition to learning to process food, Learning Residents also practice management skills that include record keeping, leading teams, time management, communication and planning.
Helpful Skills and Abilities
- Open mind, a positive disposition and interest in living , working and learning within a spiritual community.
- Ability to work with a team: prioritize and oversee daily, weekly and seasonal activities
- Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with Food Flow areas (garden, orchard and kitchen)
- Ability to make work meaningful by encouraging an atmosphere for reflection and spiritual practice, embodying the spirit of Karma Yoga
- Ability to prioritize and oversee daily, weekly and seasonal activities
- High level of personal motivation and self-management
- Desire to work in and help maintain a harmonious work environment
Basic Preserving Skills & Abilities
Most of these can be acquired through the program
- Some experience in using cutting tools and cookware
- Ability and desire to learn through hands-on experience, oral instruction and observation, as well as through written materials
- Ability to follow all food safety and sanitation procedures
- Ability to work physically (chopping, lifting, moving of produce)
This is a three-month position, with the opportunity to extend. See Pathways to Living and Serving in the Ashram Community for more information. We are happy to discuss possibilities with you.
While these are not paid staff positions, they are spiritual and career/life development opportunities. Learning Residents receive complimentary meals and accommodation for the length of their stay, valued at $1400 per month.
Seasonal and primarily locally sourced meals are provided, with our kitchen able to cater to numerous dietary requirements.
Mar 31 – Jun 22
May 26 – Aug 17
Jul 21 – Oct 12
- A ‘day away’ each month (after the first month is completed)
- A weekend course to be taken after three months (or within the third month)
How To Apply
To apply, please fill out and submit the application form:
Download Learning Residency Application
Applications are accepted any time, please call if you have any questions: Shakti 250-227-9224