We are not currently taking applications.
Come join the Ashram community in the One Month Karma Yoga Program as a first step. Depending on your skill set and interests, we can discuss options for you staying longer and deepening your experience of community living as well as contributions in the Infrastructure area.
Possibilities with an Infrastructure Focus
The Yasodhara Ashram Infrastructure Learning Residency is intended for individuals who want to broaden and deepen their understanding of property management (carpentry, plumbing, building and general maintenance) and the practice of Karma Yoga.
Located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay, this full-time, three month program provides hand-on experience of working in a team to steward the Ashram premises and utilities. The program involves responding to general repair and maintenance needs around the Ashram as well as a series of projects that may involve working with local tradespeople, including carpenters, plumbers, electricians and renewables/heating engineers. Projects will be designed around the current needs of the Ashram and the Learning Resident’s skill set and learning goals, and may include minor plumbing, electrical, carpentry, roofing, tiling, painting and more.
The Ashram property includes renovated and new buildings for teaching, accommodating guests, worship and office use. It has its own shop, sewage and water supply systems and a number of unsurfaced roads, small machinery plus a small fleet of vehicles.
Some experience with tool use and a willingness to get your hands dirty is
helpful. Important qualities are an open mind, a positive disposition and interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
Skills & Abilities
Helpful Technical Experience
- Use of hand and power tools
- Use of maintenance and operating manuals
- Use of plumbing, electrical, carpentry, plastering tools
- Furniture refinishing or repair
- Ability to work hard physically (lifting, climbing etc)
- Ability to safely use ladders
- Valid driver’s license an asset
Interpersonal Leadership and Communication
- Ability to make work meaningful by encouraging an atmosphere for reflection and spiritual practice, embodying the spirit of Karma Yoga
- Communication skills for reporting, cooperation and instruction
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to lead a team, encouraging safety and teamwork
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Consideration and support of colleagues and contractors
- Capacity for problem solving
- Keen attention to detail
- High level of personal motivation and self-management
- Desire to work in and help maintain a harmonious work environment
- An attitude of service, a positive disposition and an interest in living and learning within a spiritual community.
Extending Your Stay – Pathways to Living and Serving in the Ashram Community
During your stay, we welcome you to consider whether you would benefit from an extended experience through our Pathways Program. Provided both parties agree it is a good fit, it is possible to become a Karma Yoga resident by extending in steps which might continue for 6 months, 1 year or 2+ years depending on your interests. This gives you the opportunity to expand your skills as you live and work alongside us a part of our community. You might become a team leader, eventually even become a teacher, and continue to gain experience that is transferable to work outside the Ashram. We will be happy to dismiss possibilities with you.