Hours: 30 hours per week; Full time
Start Date: This is a 8-week position, July 2 to August 24, 2018
Job Review: After 4 weeks and at completion of 8 weeks.
Reporting to: Grounds and Landscaping Overseer
Rate of pay: $14.25/hour.
Application deadline: May 15, 2018
This is a federally funded Canada Summer Jobs position, to be eligible, applicants must:
- be a post-secondary student between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment;
- have been registered as full-time students in the previous academic year and intend to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year;
- be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act; and,
- be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations.
Students of agriculture, earth sciences, biology, botany, forestry, landscaping, landscape architecture, landscape technician are encouraged to apply. Priority will be given to Indigenous students who apply and self identify.
Yasodhara Ashram is a yoga retreat and study centre that has been supporting the development of personal and professional potential through year-round yoga programs for over fifty-four years. Spanning 115 acres of land, which includes both wild and managed forests and intensively managed gardens and grounds.
This job is a combination of basic research, ongoing learning and practical implementation. The primary responsibility will be to assist with maintenance and management of the Ashram lands and grounds. The candidate will also contribute to existing partnership projects with local organizations that address resilience issues related to land care, fire protection and energy use. A particular focus will be investigating and implementing sustainable management of invasive species and forest fire suppression techniques. Additionally, the candidate will participate in landscaping of our new Temple of Light.
Key tasks and responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Identify and remove invasive species and pests
- Participate in and lead brush clearing and forest thinning activities to compliment sustainable forest fire prevention and suppression plan.
- Network with relevant local and regional organizations to support regional fire prevention and land conservation projects.
- Assist with the landscaping of the newly-constructed Temple of Light;
- Maintenance including watering & organizing simple irrigation systems
- Preparing ground, planting, pruning and weeding in existing and new perennial gardens.
- Responsible for leading and managing groups of volunteers after training period is complete.
The Grounds and Landscaping Manager will be training and supervising all of the Grounds and Land projects that the Lands and Resource Associate will be involved with. The Lands Manager meets with Lands and Resource Associate daily to assign tasks and provide instruction where instruction is required. The Grounds and Landscaping Manager will provide regular supervision during the day.
Orientation – The Lands and Resource Associate is introduced to the purpose of Yasodhara Ashram and introduced to partners and staff. This includes a tour of the site and location of tools, workstations, and first aid stations and procedures for first aid situations. A period of two weeks will be allotted to ensure the candidate has proper introduction to tools, techniques and processes for all tasks.
The first two weeks will involve skill training and mentoring student to be able to make informed decisions. The Ashram grounds have a wide variety of ornamental and native plants and the student will learn the requirements for care and maintenance of each.
Similarly, there are a variety of hand tools, machinery, irrigation equipment and techniques for using each. The student will be introduced to the equipment and learn the basic maintenance of each. They will be encouraged to read appropriate equipment manuals and ask questions when they are unclear of operation and safety.
The Lands and Resource Associate will be leading volunteers in tasks after they are trained and comfortable with the tasks. Leading a team is a part of their skill development.
The skills and experience gained will be beneficial to be a competent coordinator in outdoor work settings.
Apply at email@example.com by May 15, 2018.
Yasodhara Ashram is a residential spiritual community. Candidates are invited to apply to live onsite. Please indicate your interest in your application.