The Yasodhara Ashram Preserving Kitchen Learning Residency is intended for individuals who want to broaden and deepen their understanding of seasonal food preservation and the practice of Karma Yoga.
Located in the rural community of Kootenay Bay, this three month program works with produce from the ashram garden, orchard and local farmers to provide hands-on experience from field to table to larder. Preserving takes the form of freezing, canning, fermenting and dehydrating. Working with the wealth of ashram recipes and experience, Learning Residents will gain high level processing skills as well as learning method, purpose and record keeping. Emphasis is placed on whole food use, quality and safety. The successful applicant will have experience working with food preserving as well as ability to respond to the day-to-day needs of the kitchen (fresh eating).
People interested in nutrition, health, cooking and related fields are encouraged to apply.
HELPFUL SKILLS & ABILITIES
- A willingness to learn
- A curiosity and openness to explore living in a spiritual community
- A desire to bring care into all actions
- Ability to oversee both big picture and day to day tasks
- Communication skills for reporting and instruction
- Ability to prioritize and adjust plans easily
- Organizational skills (records, tools, people, supplies)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work in a changing environment
- Keen observation and attention to detail
PRESERVING KITCHEN SPECIFIC SKILLS & ABILITIES
Some of these can be acquired through the program, however previous experience is an asset:
- Knowledge and proficiency in food preservation
- Safe food practices
- Ability to work within a budget, maintain a transparent procurement process and coordinate with local supplier
- Ability to prioritize and oversee daily, weekly and seasonal activities
- Follow recipes and research new ones
- Ability to work indoor and outdoors in various weather (heat, sun, rain, cold)
- Ability to work physically moving, lifting, carrying, organizing produce/preserves
- Drivers license is helpful
Interpersonal Leadership and Communication
- Ability to make work meaningful by encouraging an atmosphere for reflection and spiritual practice, embodying the spirit of Karma Yoga
- High level of personal motivation and self-management
- Ability and ease to lead karma yogis with daily projects or tasks (planning, preparing, overseeing, checking in and following through until completion)
- Ability to effectively communicate and coordinate with Food Flow areas (garden, orchard, kitchen, procurement) during a busy season
- Ability to maintain ongoing open communication with Preserving Kitchen Manager
Intake Dates and Application Process
Closing date for each three month residency is one month before intake date. Applications are considered when received, please send as early as possible.
This is a three month position. Work may move between areas of Food Flow (Garden, Orchard, Kitchen) depending on needs of the season.
The 2018 season is divided into three periods:
- Apr 3 –Jun 25 Main activities during this period: harvesting saskatoon berries and herbs, tea leaves for drying, preparing and freezing pestos, canning and freezing asparagus, ferments ongoing throughout the year.
- May 29 – Aug 20 Main activities during this period: canning various cucumber and pickle products, fruits, processing our large cherry and raspberry crops, also freezing vegetables
- Jul 24 – Oct 15 Main activities during this period: preserving fruits from our orchard – pears, plums, canning tomatoes, beets, tomato salsa and various garnishes, harvesting rose hips for drying, grapes for juice and jelly, preparing and freezing apples for: sauce, baking and dehydrating a variety of fruits.
To apply, please fill out and submit the application form: