Sous Chef position at a progressive non-profit organization on the shores of Kootenay Lake in the mountains of Southeastern British Columbia.
Yasodhara Ashram, founded in 1963, is an enduring and vibrant yoga and retreat centre where we offer retreats and courses to help guests find quality, peace and meaning in their lives. The Ashram nurtures over 2.5 acres of organic gardens and orchards, with menus based on what is available seasonally.
We are seeking an experienced and creative whole foods-oriented professional to join our staff on a full time basis. The Sous Chef will assist the Ashram’s Red Seal Lead Cook/Kitchen Manager by cooking buffet-style lunches and suppers that are simple, nutritionally balanced, tasty and seasonally responsive. Our kitchen is a mix of volunteers and paid professionals and we strive to create a harmonious kitchen environment along to complement the meals we produce.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to organize and operate a community kitchen based on harmony, open communication and teamwork. The Lead Cook/Kitchen manager would support you in this role.
- Provide wholesome, nutritionally balanced buffet-style (fixed menu) breakfasts, lunches and dinners for 50 to 100 people (depending on season) –
- Menu development with a largely vegetarian/vegan focus, although some meat preparation is required.
- Ability to oversee both big picture and day to day tasks while prioritizing the most important
- Developed communication skills for reporting, cooperation and instruction
- Proficiency with Microsoft excel and word
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- A curiosity and openness to explore working in a spiritual community
- Willingness to learn
- Interest and knowledge about food and sustainability
- Ability to work hard physically (chopping, lifting, moving bags of food etc)
- Valid driver’s licence
Experience and Certification:
- Food Safe Level 1 certified
- Formal training as a cook with at least 3 to 5 years of experience. Experience with volume food preparation, baking and vegetarian cooking is a distinct asset
Benefits of working for Yasodhara Ashram Society:
- Working in a beautiful natural environment on the shores of Kootenay Lake
- Using cooking and managerial skills to support an organization that seeks to have a positive effect in people’s lives
- Working in a supportive, communal environment – cooperative versus competitive
- Teaching and mentoring people of varying skill levels and backgrounds
- Staff discounts on courses and retreats
- Daily hatha yoga classes are an option as well as weekly reflection classes
This is a full time position with a minimum one-year contract. There may be options to live onsite or locally.
To apply for this position, please submit your resume and cover letter by February 28, 2018 to email@example.com. Only those applicants under consideration will be contacted.
Job Title: Sous Chef
Status: Full-time, 5 days a week, 40 hours a week
Benefits: Full benefits including Life Insurance, Extended Health and Dental available after 3 months of employment
Start Date: April 1, 2018