The Light That Shines

Gem Salsberg, a long-time Yasodhara Yoga student, is helping the Ashram create videos and photography of the Temple project. Here she exhibits her photographs of a mystical Temple moment and tells her story.

After days of torrential rain, heavy clouds and a sobering American election, it seemed improbable that we would see the supermoon rising here on November 14th. The moon would be closer to the Earth than it has been since 1948. This timing synchronistically coincided with the raising of the first elegant and massive wooden supporting arches and curving shear walls of the Temple of Light.

That night as I finally lay in my bed, cosy and completely content to be in my pyjamas, I received a text from Swami Lalitananda: Supermoon shining on beams. Magic.

With a sleepy murmur and a sense of excitement, I wrestled on some warm clothes and headed out into the night, camera in hand.

As I walked the unlit dirt road, the clouds miraculously opened up and the moon began to rise from behind the mountains. When I reached the Temple, silver shimmered along the edges of its vast wooden bones. The world felt mysterious and powerful as the clarity of cold night stars emerged in the indigo sky. I worked with my camera to capture the moment.

These photographs were taken by the light of the supermoon. The beams were illuminated softly in the darkness. As the images surfaced, I was grateful for what my camera has shown me – that even in the darkest of times, there is light. I am perpetually learning to keep my heart open and in the lineage of the lens: to remain steady and focused and to allow enough time for truth to emerge. Occasionally, it is revelatory.

Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved
5_super_moon_temple_gem_salsberg__all_rights_reserved_2016-2408-copy
Gem Salsberg © all rights reserved

18 Responses to “The Light That Shines”

1. Risa Salsberg

Thank you for finding the light on the “vast wooden bones” of the new temple. The photos are so elegant, they have a painterly quality to them. You have captured the mystical beauty of the moment……. Thank you Gem

2. Draupadi

It is very beautiful. The temple seems ‘one with the setting.’ Thank you.

3. Richard Siegenthaler

Beauttiful night photography! I love the shades of indigo blue — that exude for me calmness and inner awareness — and the shapes of the curvature form — forging my appreciation of change. I am reminded that life is resilient.

4. selena

Beautiful images! Wonderful to see the temple’s new form take shape backdropped by the familiar mountains of home.

5. Patricia

Thank you for these inspiring shots. There is a magic in the night bathed in moonlight. The images capture this magic and inspiration.

6. Utpala

Mystery Awe and Joy
    The shear walls remind me of dolphins
    leaping upward in joy….

7. Robert Phelps

The moon’s reflected light reveals an emerging form. And, like a phoenix arrising from fire says “From the darkness I will return to bring back a brighter light”.

8. Niall McKenna

Incredible to see the moon itself illuminating the new Temple. It reminds me of the old Ashram logo, with the full moon glowing above the old Temple. A blessing from this heavenly body that this space captures the Light. Om Om.

9. Lakshmi

What a thrill it must have been to be there and to take these beautiful photos.Thank you for your dedication to it.

10. Zan Deery

Thank you for this beauty of the Light….Enjoying the beautiful archiving that is being done of the process…In the Light from Spokane…Zan

11. Swami Jyotihananda

I was there seeing the light glimmering on the arches. Gem has captured the essence of why we are here and how these teachings can open our hearts and minds.

12. Susan

Thankyou for these inspiring images and especially for these words as well.